Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Adventure week in review

Been away from these here parts for a week 'cuz, well, of love. Love for me has a face and body and a name, even: Ryan. He's shy and dear and one of the most eager people I've met in my whole life. He brought a fruit basket with multi-colored bells from his grandmother filled with oranges, plums, pears and a few bags of microwave popcorn...mmm!

Just about every night, we'd go walking to the Texaco station a little ways down or the circle K, much further down to buy food and drinks. It's interesting, the culture there. Just people passing through usually not buying much. This one lady at the Texaco register said I was "real pretty" or something like that. I very seldom get compliments of any kind on my looks but she probably thought I was simply cute, like a teenage girl.

We also went out to eat, just the two of us, a few times. Ryan was really concerned if I was enjoying my food and myself. He really need not have worried. I was having a wonderful time simply because he was there.

We saw a movie, went to the mall and dollar store, made a Lowe's visit, tried (unsuccessfully) to fly a kite, read to each other, and just cuddled. All and all, it was a divine week, and gone too quickly. I had fun teaching Ryan a few poker games; he'll make a good player. Not to mention the sweet photos he took (see a prime example below).

What else am I forgetting to mention? Oh, yeah, I finally got to see the movie The Pianist with him. It's the only Roman Polanski film I remember seeing. It's epic, beginning in 1939 Poland, just as the Nazis really started to take over. Warsaw had something like close to 400,000 Jews living in it, so it's little wonder why Hitler chose to invade it. Few movies know the art of using almost pure tension as this one did. It's quite mocking to say, but this main character had it fairly easy compared to even just the rest of his family. He was well liked and had connections and a mysterious sort of charm that I guess only a professional piano player possesses. He made it alive and played in concerts and on radio again. This movie really makes me want to pick up a copy of the autobiography on which it is based. Now I know why Adrian Brody was holding up an Oscar in 2003.

So, busy, busy, fun, fun fun week filled with lots of love, passion and adventure--just the way I LIKE IT!

Thank you, Ryan, my love!

No comments: