Sunday, April 23, 2006

For some, E.T. stands for extreme terror


For some, E.T. stands for extreme terror


By Holly Miyasaki is a reporter with the Penticton Western
NewApr 23 2006

My biggest fear is a friendly alien from the 1980s.When Steven Spielberg’s E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial was released in 1982 I was not yet born, but I was around when it was on VHS.My parents, thinking it would be a nice family night to eat pizza and watch this terrifying film, rented it.

My first glimpse of the small, oblong-headed, long-fingered beast drove a stake of fear into my soul that still lingers today.As the events of young Drew Barrymore, that monstrous alien with his glowing heart and her co-stars unfolded on the television screen, I tried to hide my face, but my mom thought I was being silly and told me to stop.I can’t remember if I endured the whole film — I must have blocked out the memory — but whatever I did see had an everlasting effect on me.That night I cried, threw up and had a nightmare; my parents must have felt so guilty. I can still remember that dream as clear as if it happened last night — it wasn’t even that scary, but I’ll never forget it. E.T. had me pinned down and was sitting on my chest. All around us were multi-coloured bunnies hopping around. That was the extent of it.

After that night I couldn’t allow my hands or feet to hang off the bed because I was worried E.T. would be hiding under my bed and grab me.I looked up some pictures of E.T. on the Internet while writing this column and just seeing him again sent chills down my spine that I still can’t shake. I’m not kidding.

When my sister got an E.T. doll for her birthday we had to get rid of it because it frightened me to have it in the house.When we went to Universal Studios I couldn’t go near the E.T. bicycle attraction.If I was planning to have a scary movie night E.T. would definitely be on the list.

And don’t think I’m alone in my fear. I have met quite a few others in my generation that were frightened by this blood-curdling film. I’m thinking what was so scary about it was it was our first exposure to aliens and the thought of life outside planet Earth. Children shouldn’t be exposed to that!I know, I know. The movie was supposed to be a touching portrayal of family, friendship and ... making friends with petrifying little creatures from outer space. Today, I’m pretty sure I could take E.T. I’m not tall, but I’m quick and can scream really loud. Although if I was actually confronted with him I would probably freeze like a deer in the headlights and be at his mercy.I just hope they don’t make that sequel to the movie. I heard Spielberg was thinking about it.Whether there’s a critically acclaimed addition to E.T. or not, I don’t plan on seeing it again or ever making any children I might one day have watch it. By the way, I still make sure my hands and feet don’t hang over the edge of the bed when I go to sleep at night.

-------

What the duce?! Lady, what movie were you watching? This flick wasn't supposed to be 'Signs'! Geez, this woman was probably afraid of the Easter Bunny, baby chicks and white, fluffy clouds!

"I’m thinking what was so scary about it was it was our first exposure to aliens and the thought of life outside planet Earth. Children shouldn’t be exposed to that!"

And what sort of movies do you suppose they should be exposed to? White bread, vanillia, Bing Crosby, flag waving, ultra conservative, let's-never-look-beyond-our-own-backyard-to-dream movies? That only leaves movies made before 1946! Some film library!

Hey, kids--don't go watching movies at Holly Miyasaki's house! She's no fun!

No comments: